The life of a cookie can be summed up as follows:
- Birth: The cookie is created and placed on your site.
- Life: The cookie is present and active on your site.
- Death: The cookie is no longer active.
To be born and live on your site, a cookie needs a script to generate it and make it work.
Once implemented, the Axeptio solution blocks the scripts for installing and using cookies from running, but it does not remove the cookies that have been placed there.
✅ This means that the presence of a cookie after a change of consent can be explained as follows:
- Consent: First, the cookie is accepted.
The script runs, which loads and places the cookies.
- Non-consent: Next, the cookie is rejected.
The script is now blocked, causing the cookie to become inactive. The cookie still exists because it was placed there initially.
✅ A cookie cannot transmit data without its script. It is effectively "dead" (inactive).